A terpene has a diverse class of organic compounds from a variety of plants, including:
- pine trees
- citrus fruits
However, the most popular terpene used for some products is from cannabis.
The terpenes are responsible for the characteristic odors and flavors; they are associated with plants and used in:
- essential oils
- food additives
They are synthesized by many plants as a defense mechanism against herbivores and to attract pollinators. Each type of terpene has its unique aroma and potential therapeutic properties.
Terpene from cannabis
In cannabis, the terpene works together synergistically to produce the plant’s overall effects. The terpene in cannabis can influence the following:
- therapeutic effects
What are its benefits?
The specific benefits vary on the type of terpene and where they are used. These are the health benefits contributed by terpene from the finished products where it is associated with:
- Pain relief
- Anti-Inflammatory effects
- Antioxidant properties
- Sedative and relaxation effects
- Anti-anxiety and anti-stress
- memory and cognitive function booster
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties
What health condition can terpene from cannabis treat?
These organic compounds can be found in various plants, primarily cannabis. The terpene is the one responsible for the flavor and aroma of various cannabis strains and studied its potential medicinal effects. Different types of terpene come with different aromas. The terpene found in cannabis has potential therapeutic properties, namely:
- A terpene known for its calming and sedative effects. It has the potential to:
- an anti-anxiety
- antidepressant agent
- Myrcene is believed to have these two properties:
- anti-inflammatory properties
- analgesic (pain-relief) properties
It may contribute to the “couch-lock” effect in some indica strains.
- Pinene can be found in pine trees and is believed to have the same properties:
It may help with respiratory conditions.
- It has two potential properties:
These properties make it potentially useful for pain management.
- Limonene is known for its citrusy aroma and potential properties:
It is also used in topical products for its probable skin benefits.
- Terpinolene is found in herbs. It also contains the following effects:
- anxiolytic (anxiety-reducing)
Terpene from cannabis contributes to the use of this plant, it is one part of the equation. The primary therapeutic compounds in cannabis are cannabinoids like THC and CBD. The effects of terpene will vary based on the level of:
- specific cannabis strain
- individual’s unique biology
If you are considering using cannabis for a specific health condition, consult with a cannabis doctor.Continue Reading